822 Carl Russell Avenue, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101

Telephone:  336.722.3459       Fax: 336.631.8268

 

Home
Obituaries
Staff
History
Products & Services
Memorials
Search The Site
Contact Us
Map

Signature Book

 

Send Flowers

History

 

Russell Funeral Home (1939-2002)

In Loving Memory of

Mr. Carl H. Russell, Sr. and Mrs. Florrie S. Russell

 

"GROWING AND STILL DEDICATED TO SERVING YOU BETTER"

 

The doors of THE RUSSELL FUNERAL HOME first swung open in October 1939.  In the modest building at 721 East Seventh Street with minimal equipment purchased from a funeral home director in Falls Church, Virginia who had just gone out of business.  The fledgling business humbly began and operated from the Seventh Street site until 1962 when it was relocated at the corner of Ninth Street and Ridge Avenue.  There, it operated out of the Christian Building, which also housed the Click Grocery, until 1964 when the RUSSELL FUNERAL HOME was built at that same location.  Though the physical structures and landscapes have been altered over the years, RUSSELL FUNERAL HOME has continuously operated from this base over the last thirty-five years.

 

The current renovated facility stands is sharp contrast to the buildings that predate it.  Dedicated on October 10, 1993, the refurbished RUSSELL FUNERAL HOME is a modern three story structure which provides the necessary features to render efficient yet sympathetic service, a trademark by which RUSSELL is known.  The current facility, though at primarily the same location, has had an address change.  Ninth Street is now Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive and Ridge Avenue is now Carl Russell Avenue.

 

The Tennessee Crab Orchard stone and brick exterior leads to an entrance foyer which features a terrazzo floor, water fountain and stone botanical flower garden, particular point of pride for Mrs. Florrie S. Russell, who guided the building's renovation phase.  The Mary Rose Russell Chapel (located North of the foyer) and the Carl H. Russell, Sr. Chapel to the south provide the boundaries for the reception area, two offices, area of repose, and handicapped accessible restrooms which are located on the first level.

Amenities provided on the upper level include a kitchen, office, storage facilities, and living quarters designed to enhance the FAMILY atmosphere which has also been RUSSELL trademark - a Family serving Families.

In the words of the founder, Russell Funeral Home is a family business dedicated to serving other families in their time of sorrow.

 

Carl H. Russell, Sr. was a native of Davie County.  He was educated in the Winston-Salem public schools.  He graduated from Johnson C. Smith with honors before attending the University of Minnesota School of Embalming.  Carl Russell, Sr., served as Alderman, and Mayor Pro-tem of the city of Winston-Salem.  He was a member of many organization, including Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Mason, and Shriners.  He had a notable record of public service and was the recipient of countless awards and citations.  The defining legacy of the founder and CEO of the Russell Funeral Home was the manner in which he prepared his family to continue the tradition of service in his absence.

Mrs. Florrie Sitgraves Russell, wife and partner of Carl Russell, Sr., for 49 years, assumed the leadership role of Russell in 1987 after the passing of her husband.

She was born in Rock Hill, South Carolina.  She graduated from Winston-Salem Teachers College.  In addition to teaching, she was a licensed funeral director, who as CEO guided the renovation of the current facility.  Prior to her passing on June 7, 1997 she ran the day-to-day operations of Russell.

 

The staff at Russell Funeral Home is committed to continuing the awesome legacy given to us by our parents.